Apple awarded glass-on-metal trackpad design patent
The next time you sit down at an aluminum unibody MacBook and glide your finger atop the trackpad, you can take pride in knowing that the design of that trackpad has been issued a patent by the US Patent and Trademark Office.
Design patent D674382 was published today under the rather mundane title "Portable computer" and is for the "ornamental design for a portable computer." Other than a group of drawings showing that the patent is for the trackpad and no other element of the MacBook design, there's not a lot of detail.
Probably the most notable feature of the design patent document is that it includes two very familiar names in the list of inventors: Jonathan P. Ive and Steve Jobs. The design patent has a life of 14 years, and is associated with a string of application continuations starting in 2008.
The next time you sit down at an aluminum unibody MacBook and glide your finger atop the trackpad, you can take pride in knowing that...
Deals of the Daymore deals
Software Updatesmore updates
- Agile Partners releases Lick of the Day 2.0
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Update 14.3.4
- Pixelmator 2.2 available with over 100 new features and improvements
- DabKick for iPhone lets you share photos, watch videos and now listen to music in real-time
- Google Now added to search app on iPhone, iPad
- GateGuru for iPhone has been updated and greatly improved