Philips departs consumer electronics market; Funai to carry on Apple accessory line
After struggling to find its niche in the modern consumer electronics landscape for many years, Philips has thrown in the towel. The company went from offering TVs and MP3 players to focusing on accessories such as iPhone docks and stereo headphones. According to the Wall Street Journal, the remainder of the company's consumer-focused lines have been sold to Funai Electric of Japan.
Philips will focus on medical equipment and lighting, as those have recently made up the majority of the company's business. So if there's a Philips iPad-compatible alarm clock that you've had your eye on, now is the time to pick it up.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync