Judge Koh: Samsung did not willingly infringe Apple's patents
Judge Lucy Koh closed a chapter in the ongoing litigation between Apple and Samsung by issuing three orders in the case. These rulings pave the way for an appeal.
According to a report in Ars Technica, Koh determined that Samsung's infringement was not willful and ruled that damage awards won't be tripled. The judge sided with Samsung, which argued that it didn't believe it was in the wrong.
Koh also shut down Samsung's attempts to declare Apple's design patents invalid and didn't agree with Samsung's assertion that the trial was "manifestly unfair." Koh also denied Apple's request for additional damages.
You can read a full analysis of the orders on Ars Technica's website.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features