Path reaches a settlement with the FTC over COPPA violations
Path is paying handsomely for allowing minors under the age of 13 years old to sign up for its service. According to a statement released Friday, Path has settled with the FTC over an alleged violation of the Children's Online Privacy Protections Act (COPPA) involving 3,000 underage accounts. The social network has agreed to pay an US$8,000 fine. It will also establish a privacy program and submit to regular privacy assessments for the next 20 years.
This COPPA violation was discovered as part of a bigger investigation following the revelation that Path uploaded iPhone contact information to the service's database without permission.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter