Path reaches a settlement with the FTC over COPPA violations
Path is paying handsomely for allowing minors under the age of 13 years old to sign up for its service. According to a statement released Friday, Path has settled with the FTC over an alleged violation of the Children's Online Privacy Protections Act (COPPA) involving 3,000 underage accounts. The social network has agreed to pay an US$8,000 fine. It will also establish a privacy program and submit to regular privacy assessments for the next 20 years.
This COPPA violation was discovered as part of a bigger investigation following the revelation that Path uploaded iPhone contact information to the service's database without permission.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app