Chevrolet Sonic, Spark first cars to get Siri Eyes Free integration
GM has announced that the Chevrolet Sonic and Spark will offer Siri Eyes Free integration in March of 2013. This makes good on a promise GM made in June 2012 to deliver the service to the cars within "the next 12 months." Eyes Free will be distributed via an upgrade to existing MyLink radios in the Sonic and Spark. Once the cars have the upgrade, GM says drivers will be able to:
- Make voice-activated, hands-free calls to Contacts on their iPhone.
- Play songs in their iTunes libraries, and even switch music sources automatically from AM/FM/XM radio to iPod mode.
- Listen to, compose and send an iMessage or text message to a phone number or anyone in saved Contacts.
- Access Calendar and add appointments.
- Minimize distraction even more by keeping the screen of the iPhone from lighting up even when Siri answers simple questions such as game scores or the dates of national holidays.
The Siri Eyes Free feature of iOS 6 was first announced at WWDC last year. It allows drivers to safely interact with features of their iPhones via voice control without taking your eyes off the road. Besides GM, both Honda and Hyundai have promised to add Siri Eyes Free integration to their cars in 2013.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options