PS4 to have social apps geared toward second-screen experiences
The most iOS-related news to come out of Sony's big PlayStation 4 announcement is the impending release of tablet apps that promote a second-screen experience. According to Engadget, the apps will be able to stream 10-second gameplay clips, gaming sessions, download items that are auto-tailored to your preferences, and more.
The PS4's revamped interface looks like it would be at home on an iPad. While Sony did not give specifics on if the companion app would be available on iOS, it would be surprising if it wasn't on the App Store at launch.
Sony's following in the footsteps of Microsoft, which debuted the Xbox SmartGlass app in November. Mike Schramm took a look at the Microsoft app; he was pretty impressed with it, and said it was a good alternative to using the Xbox controller when you're not gaming. Looking at SmartGlass, you might get a sense of what the PS4's app could eventually be like on iOS.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options