NPR's Planet Money goes behind the scenes with The Magazine
Jacob Goldstein of NPR's Planet Money took a look at the economics behind The Magazine, the iPad-only publication created by Marco Arment of Instapaper and edited by Jeopardy champion and Macworld/TidBITS contributor Glenn Fleishman.
The Magazine launched late last year with essays from well-known, technology-focused writers such as Jason Snell, Lex Friedman and Harry Marks. The Magazine is published every two weeks and costs US$1.99 for a monthly subscription.
Unlike most online ventures that struggle to get off the ground, The Magazine already has 25,000 subscribers and is pulling in a healthy profit. You can read more about the financials of The Magazine and the reasons why Arment started the venture on Planet Money's website.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options