Google releases new iOS app 'Field Trip'
Google has released a new iOS app today called Field Trip. The app had previously been an Android-only one before today's launch. The app is a location-based augmented reality app that displays information on your screen or via audio into your Bluetooth headset when you are near an area of interest.
Field Trip uses technologies from a little bit of everybody to accomplish its goals. It uses code and search from Google, maps from Apple and hyperlocal place information from companies like Thrillist, Food Network, Zagat and Run Riot for food results; Sunset, Cool Hunting, WeHeart, Inhabitat and Remodelista for shopping results; and Songkick and Flavorpill for local music gigs.
From the app's App Store listing, these are some of its highlights:
- Discover thousands of interesting places/experiences that fall under the following categories: Architecture, Historic Places & Events, Lifestyle, Offers & Deals, Food Drinks & Fun, Movie Locations, Outdoor Art and Obscure Places of Interest around you.
- Choose from three different modes to set frequency of Field Trip notifications. See "Field Trip"-worthy places around you on a map, by tapping on cards in map view to pull up enthralling points of interest around you.
- Go on a Field Trip while you drive. Field Trip can detect when you're driving and automatically "talk" about interesting places and experience around you.
- Came across an amazing story or restaurant? Mark it as a favorite to easily come back to it at any point.
- Capture the memory of a special place, by sharing a wondrous discovery through email and social networks such as Google+, Twitter and Facebook.
- Wondering where the gem that you recently discovered is? Find your discovered field trip cards in the "recent" section.
Field Trip is a free download.
Deals of the Daymore deals
Software Updatesmore updates
- Evernote introduces reminders to Mac, iOS apps
- Poser 10 and Poser Pro 2014 available, bringing new characters, physics and more
- Agile Partners releases Lick of the Day 2.0
- Google announces new Hangout app to hit iOS today
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Update 14.3.4
- Pixelmator 2.2 available with over 100 new features and improvements