Comixology halts digital Marvel giveaway
A day after Comixology and Marvel announced a giveaway of more than 700 Marvel #1 issues for free, Comixology has had to halt the promotion. In a letter posted on the company's blog (and sent to customers via email), CEO David Steinberger said:
It's been a whirlwind weekend, and we're fresh from SXSW where Marvel Comics launched their Marvel #1 promotion featuring over 700 free comics distributed via our platform.
We expected a high degree of excitement for the Marvel initiative -- and had believed ourselves prepared -- but unfortunately we became overwhelmed by the immense response. We're still struggling to keep our systems up.
The result is that you aren't getting your comics when and where you want.
We don't like letting you down. Our teams are working around the clock to resolve these issues so that you can have the experience you've come to expect.
To that end, we're pausing the Marvel Comics #1 promotion for the time being. For those of you that want to take advantage of the offer -- you will get your comics!
Comixology is asking users to fill out this form so they can be notified when they can download the free issues. Comic Book Resources talked to several comic book publishers who offer titles through Comixology. Though the 700-free-issue promotion was Marvel-only, Image Comics confirmed that Comixology's server crash affected sales of its issues. It told the site that a "significant part" of daily digital comic book sales come through Comixology.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service