THX sues Apple for speaker designs found in iDevices and iMacs
THX has filed a lawsuit against Apple alleging the computer maker has infringed on its speaker designs. As Bloomberg reports, THX holds a patent that was granted in 2008 that covers narrow-profile speaker designs in consumer electronics and their ability to boost sound output. The technology is used in the iPhone 4S, the iPhone 5, some models of the iPad and some iMacs.
THX alleges that Apple's use of the patented technology is causing the company "monetary damage and irreparable harm." It is seeking an order from the court to instruct Apple to stop using the technology and to pay the company reasonable royalties and damages. Readers can see the speaker design in the new iMac (above) that THX alleges infringes on its patent.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free
- Dragon Dictate 4 released today with new features and speed enhancements