Apple updates Podcasts app to version 1.2 (Updated)
Apple's homegrown Podcasts app (free) received an update today to version 1.2, with a few new features as well as some of the famous "additional performance and stability improvements" the company is known for.
Per the release notes, Podcasts 1.2 allows users to create custom stations of their favorite podcasts that update automatically with new episodes and choose whether the stations begin playing with the newest or oldest unplayed episode. Those stations are stored in iCloud, so they're synced across all devices.
Listeners can create On-The-Go playlists on their iOS devices with their own list of episodes, and the Now Playing view has been redesigned with playback controls that Apple says are easier to use.
Update: Our very own Mike Rose notes that the Podcasts app also lost the skeuomorphic tape reels of the original version. The new UI is visible in the screenshot below. Somewhere, Scott Forstall is quietly weeping...
One of the fixes built into version 1.2 addresses an issue with resuming playback when returning to the app. The update should be listed in your Updates list now or in the very near future.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV