Blizzard reveals Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, coming to iPad and PC
Blizzard Entertainment has revealed a brand-new game coming to the iPad and PC at PAX East this weekend, and all I can say is that it's about time. Blizzard is by far my favorite game developer, and I've been disappointed that as great as their games are, the company has never once made a solid entry into the iOS space: they've released an app to support World of Warcraft, but not once a real game meant for iOS directly.
Until now. Hearthstone is a collectible card game based on various Warcraft characters and abilities, and as you can see in the screenshot above, it looks pretty darn gorgeous. Blizzard already has a very popular paper CCG, but this seems different even from that game, though you still collect cards and use them in play to cast spells, summon characters and use weapons all brought directly from the Warcraft universe. The game will be free to play, with extra card packs and cards available via in-app purchase.
Blizzard says the game is coming first in a beta for PC and Mac later on this year, but the iPad version is what we'll really be waiting for. It's long past time that this legendary game developer made a mark on the iOS platform, and I have an inkling that if this game is as successful as you might expect, we'll see some more iOS development from Blizzard in the future. First things first, though -- hopefully we'll get our hands on Hearthstone soon.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features