Vine tops the free app list in the US App Store
Twitter's Vine app has only been available since late January of 2013, but it's already become a favorite app for folks who love shooting, editing and sharing six-second videos of just about everything. Yesterday, Vine reached the number one spot of the US App Store for free apps, causing Vine app Creative Director and Co-founder Rus Yusupov (@rus) to engage in a little Twitter hyperbole (above).
Who knows? The way Vine's popularity has been growing steadily since its initial release, perhaps Yusupov will soon be correct in saying that it's the "No. 1 most popular app in the world." The app integrates well with Twitter so shared videos show up frequently in the tweet timeline -- it's a perfect way to market Vine without spending a dime.
Yesterday TUAW reported on Vine Flip, an "analog" version of Vine consisting of flipbooks printed from Vine movies. I'm personally waiting for a compilation of TUAW editor-in-chief Victor Agreda's (@superpixel) internationally acclaimed "Angry Finger" Vine videos, but there's no word yet on when that may make it to a theater near you.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app