Verizon activates 4M iPhones in the quarter, split evenly between 3G and 4G models
Verizon reported its earnings for the opening quarter of 2013 and announced that it activated 4 million iPhones. This figure is up year-over year, but down from the previous quarter which saw 6.2 million iPhone activations. This decline is expected as sales generally fall in the first quarter of the year. Within the 4 M iPhone activations, Verizon confirmed that 2 million were 4G LTE models (iPhone 5) and 2 million were 3G only models (iPhone 4/4S).
Overall, the wireless carrier activated 7.2 million smartphones in the quarter, 5.9 million of which were 4G LTE compatible. Smartphone ownership has reached an all-time high with over 61 percent of the carrier's postpaid subscriber base now using smartphones.
You can read more about Verizon's earnings on the carrier's investor relations website.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs