Square updates Register app with a focus on restaurants
Millions of merchants across the US have embraced the Square Register app to accept credit card payments without the need for a merchant account, expensive equipment or high fees. Now Square has updated the free Register app with new features that target a fast-growing segment of Square's business -- restaurants.
As you'll recall from a previous TUAW post, Square now sells a full point-of-sale system called "Business in a Box for Square Register" that includes a cash drawer, a couple of Square card readers and an iPad stand. A receipt printer is extra. Now the new update to the app allows order modifiers that make taking orders and serving food in restaurants a lot more efficient.
Those order modifiers can be used to make a custom meal order for a customer. Want to hold the mayo and have extra bacon on that BLT? That's not a problem for the app to handle, and by placing a receipt printer into the kitchen the cooking staff sees the special order immediately.
Restaurants are a huge and growing market for Square. The company says that the number of food-related businesses using Square has just about tripled and the amount of money processed by those establishments has more than quadrupled.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free