Jawbone acquires BodyMedia
BodyMedia, the makers of a few fitness trackers that work directly with the iPhone and other smartphones, has announced that it has been acquired by Jawbone, creators of the popular Up motion tracker and other Bluetooth headsets and accessories. Techcrunch's "reliable sources" say the deal was close to US$100 million, which is a substantial price for a company like this.
BodyMedia's work has been very impressive so far -- not only has the company been doing very well selling its body and fitness trackers (and an accompanying premium subscription service), but it shared lots of future plans with me a few months ago at CES, including some disposable tracking units and new ways to keep an eye on your health. BodyMedia's also got a number of patents on new devices, which are becoming more and more valuable as the trend of fitness trackers grows. Jawbone is no slouch, either -- their well-built Bluetooth headsets have been very popular for quite a while.
BodyMedia says the two companies will join forces to "deliver great things across health and wellness." We'll look forward to seeing exactly what those things are.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync