Apple ups the promotion for its 50 billion app download contest
Apple last week announced a new contest leading up to the 50 billionth downloaded app. The lucky person who downloads the 50 billionth app will receive a US$10,000 gift card redeemable on the App Store. What's more, Apple will also be awarding $500 App Store gift cards to the folks who download the first 50 apps after the 50 billion threshold has been reached.
Today, Apple boosted awareness for the contest by promoting it on their Apple.com homepage. The homepage currently features a revolving series of photos which aim to illustrate just how big the 50 billion mark is.
For instance, the photo above of the Great Wall Of China is accompanied with the tagline, "With 50 billion bricks, you could build 12 Great Walls of China."
Other photos include a snapshot of Earth, accompanied with the tagline, "With 50 billion steps, you could walk around the Earth more than 800 times." There is also a photo which notes that "counting to 50 billion would take you 1,600 years."
As it stands now, the countdown meter on Apple's website says we're at the 49.6 billion download mark.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature