AT&T extends iPhone upgrade period to two years
AT&T is extending mobile phone upgrade periods from 20 months to a full two years, according to Engadget. The news was obtained from a corporate memo leaked to the site. Previously, smartphone owners could upgrade their contract phones after 20 months, but now those owners will need to wait a full two years to upgrade phones bought on a contract.
The move by AT&T follows a similar one by Verizon a few months ago. The new upgrade period goes into effect immediately for all new contract subscribers and also for all current subscribers whose terms finish in March or later.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options