Best Buy offering $200 gift cards for older generation iPads
All Things D is reporting that Best Buy this weekend will be offering an iPad trade-in program whereby consumers can get a $200 gift card in exchange for bringing in either an iPad 2 or third-generation iPad.
While the trade-in must take place at an actual brick-and-mortar location, the resulting gift card can be used either in-store or redeemed via Best Buy's website. Note that the trade-in program excludes the original iPad and the iPad mini.
In some cases, the amount may be more than $200, depending on the model and condition of the iPad....
Best Buy said it decided to launch this promotion based on the success of its iPhone trade-in event last month. Though Best Buy wouldn't disclose how many people participated in the program, the company said there was an "overwhelming response" and that its initial June 1 event was the single biggest day for its trade-in business.
The trade-in program starts on Friday and runs through Saturday, so if you have an old iPad lying around, Best Buy is the place to be.
Update: The Best Buy website has been updated with details of the trade-in program. Be aware that not every Best Buy location is participating in the program, but users can hop onto the Best Buy site and find nearby locations that are.
As for what Best Buy will do with the old iPads? The company plans to recycle them.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter