Enhanced version of Google Maps for iOS hits the App Store
As anticipated, Google today rolled out version 2.0 of Google Maps for iOS. The update is available now for download on the App Store and includes a number of compelling features that make it well worth checking out.
First, the update brings with it enhanced navigation features, including live traffic reports and the ability to tap on a road and view incident details. One navigation feature that is currently Android-only, but will reportedly be coming to iOS soon is dynamic re-routing wherein Google alerts users en route to a particular destination if a new, speedier route becomes available.
Some other new navigation features include indoor maps with accompanying walking directions for malls, transit stations, airports and more.
Google Maps 2.0 also introduces an Explore feature, which Google describes as "a new way to browse and discover popular local places to eat, drink. shop, play and sleep."
As one would expect, the Explore feature is tightly integrated with rankings and reviews from Zagat and deals from Google Offers. I gave the Explore feature a quick run-through in Chicago and my first impression was overwhelmingly positive. The Explore feature is easy to use, comprehensive, really well thought out and, more importantly, informative and helpful.
Google last week released the following promotional video highlighting some of the new features now available in Google Maps.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter