Chinese woman electrocuted by iPhone may have used an unauthorized charger
Ma Aliun, the 23-year-old Chinese woman who was electrocuted when she answered her iPhone, may have been using a third-party charger, says a report in the South China Morning Post and Sina news. China Central Television (CCTV) obtained images that allegedly show the charred iPhone 4 and its non-Apple charger.
Xiang Ligang, an expert interviewed by CCTV, claims Ma may have been using a knockoff charger. He adds, "Knockoff chargers sometimes cut corners. The quality of the capacitor and circuit protector may not be good, and this may lead to the capacitor breaking down and sending 220 volts of electricity directly into the cell phone battery."
Chinese police are still investigating the tragic circumstances surrounding Ma's death. Apple also has said it is willing to "fully investigate and co-operate with the authorities in this matter."
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync