Google Play tops App Store in downloads, but App Store still leads in revenues
In the second quarter of 2013 Google's Play Store bested the App Store in overall downloads by roughy 10%, according to new data released by analytics firm App Annie. This is in contrast to the company's Q1 2013 and Q4 2012 reports which both showed Apple leading in overall downloads.
However, while the Play Store now has the lead in overall downloads, Google's app marketplace is still far behind Apple's in terms of app monetization. In Q2 2013 the App Store generated approximately 2.3 times the revenue of Google Play. The gap in this category is slightly smaller than it was in Q1 2013 when the App Store raked in 2.6 times the revenue of Google Play.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)