Google Play tops App Store in downloads, but App Store still leads in revenues
In the second quarter of 2013 Google's Play Store bested the App Store in overall downloads by roughy 10%, according to new data released by analytics firm App Annie. This is in contrast to the company's Q1 2013 and Q4 2012 reports which both showed Apple leading in overall downloads.
However, while the Play Store now has the lead in overall downloads, Google's app marketplace is still far behind Apple's in terms of app monetization. In Q2 2013 the App Store generated approximately 2.3 times the revenue of Google Play. The gap in this category is slightly smaller than it was in Q1 2013 when the App Store raked in 2.6 times the revenue of Google Play.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync