How to decide if you need a new smartphone
With a new iPhone looming on the horizon, it might be time to take stock as to whether you really need to buy a new one. Just last week, I had a conversation as to whether it was time to replace my iPhone 4, and the first question asked of me was, does my phone work and do everything I need it to do? My answer was yes. So, even with that burning desire to upgrade, I decided to keep what I have.
It's always best to consider the whole picture when making a decision to upgrade your phone and Gigaom has hit the nail on the head with Alex Colon's article, "How to decide whether to buy a new smartphone." Alex offers some good concise advice to consider in your lust for a new smartphone. This sidesteps that burning desire to own the latest and greatest products though.
The article poses a set of 10 rational questions for you to consider before emptying your wallet on some retailer's counter.
- Does your phone work?
- Can you renew your contract to get a subsidized price?
- Can you get a discount?
- When was the last version of the phone you want refreshed?
- Have you chosen a carrier?
- Which is the right platform for you? (Gigamon recommends the iPhone if you're an app junkie.)
- Or do you love freedom? (Gigamon cites that Android and Windows phones offer more customization than the iPhone.)
- And which is the right phone?
- Try before you buy.
- Can you return your phone? (I once bought a phone only to discover it had no cell coverage in the states where I travel. Thankfully, the carrier took the phone back within the first month with no hassle.)
- Do you even need a new phone?
If cell phones hold a certain fascination for you, then you should take a gander at this article, "The Evolution of Cell Phone Design Between 1983-2009" from Web Designer Depot. It's a fun look at phones we have used and discarded through the years.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app