Facebook adds OpenTable reservations plus TV, movie information
According to Facebook, over 800 million people access their pages monthly via a mobile device. Now those users will be able to book tables in the 20,000+ restaurants served by OpenTable from within the Facebook Mobile app. You do not need to be a member of OpenTable or leave the Facebook app; just go to your desired restaurant's page on Facebook. This new service, beginning on Monday, according to CNET, is available to iOS and Android users.
Mac|Life notes that you can search for your desired restaurant or use Facebook's "Nearby" feature on your iPhone to find a restaurant. They further state that your reservations will not appear in your News Feed nor can you share your reservations with friends, so your privacy is preserved.
In addition to this gastronomic boost, Facebook is also adding TV and movie information to their Facebook pages. CNET reports that associated air times, channel information and content descriptions for US prime-time TV shows and movies will appear on the program's Facebook page automatically.
Jennifer Van Grove at CNET states, "Both additions turn Facebook's mobile properties into places where people can go to fulfill more of their needs." Leif Johnson at Mac|Life gives Facebook credit for "working to keep itself relevant and to make business pages 'more useful and actionable for people.'"
Facebook adds dinner and shows to mobile app.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Remote Desktop update brings OS X Mavericks support and improved multi-display support
- Valve revamps Steam Mobile for iOS
- Google Drive iOS app finally lets you sort items and find and replace in documents
- Viber announces Viber Out calls for iOS, goes head to head with Skype
- Amazon Cloud Drive Photos gains video, iPad support
- Pandora Radio 5.1: Wake up to your favorite station