TiVo introduces Roamio with built-in iOS streaming
The company that singlehandedly began the DVR revolution in 1999, TiVo, has just introduced a trio of DVRs with built-in iOS streaming. The TiVo Roamio (US$199.99), TiVo Roamio Plus ($399.99) and TiVo Roamio Pro ($599.99) are perfect for the TV junkie with digital cable who wants to view video at any time, anywhere.
The Roamio Plus and Roamio Pro both come with the ability to record six shows simultaneously, support digital cable, have built-in WiFi and can stream TV to mobile iOS devices. The primary difference between the two models is the storage capacity -- the Roamio Plus can hold up to 150 hours of HD video, while the Roamio Pro has a capacity of 450 hours. There's also an entry-level Roamio available for $199.99 that supports recording four shows at once, records up to 75 hours of HD video and supports both HD antenna and digital cable input.
The TiVo Stream functionality was previously available as a $130 standalone product, but is now built in to the two higher-end Roamio devices (it can be purchased separately for the base Roamio). The service lets iOS device owners who are using TiVo's iOS apps to download shows to their devices or watch live TV on a home network. According to Macworld's Jason Snell, who attended a TiVo press briefing, the iOS app will be updated later this year to support streaming and downloading video from the DVRs from anywhere on the internet.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daylite 5 adds refinements to the business management app
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update