Google releases Chromecast app for iPhone and iPad
Google today released a new Chromecast app for iOS that enables customers to manage their Chromecast settings from their mobile device.
Chromecast, if you recall, is a compact dongle Google released not too long ago that lets users stream content from Netflix and Google-based services like YouTube and Google Play to their HDTV.
The full changelog reads:
Chromecast is the easiest way to enjoy online video and anything from the web on your TV. Plug it into any HDTV and control it with your existing smartphone, tablet or laptop. No remotes required. Cast your favorites from YouTube, Netflix, Google Play Movies and Google Play Music and Chrome to your TV with the press of a button.
Use the Chromecast app to:
• Set up your Chromecast to work with your WiFi network
• Manage your Chromecast settings (such as changing your device name, WiFi password, etc.)
The app works on iPhones going all the way back to the iPhone 3GS, all versions of the iPad and the third-generation iPod touch and up. Google does, however, note that the app is optimized for the iPhone 5.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app