Confused by the Galaxy Gear? Apple released a better, cheaper watch in 2010
The smartwatch market is a weird one, so when a new device enters the fray it can be somewhat confusing to pinpoint exactly where it fits in. Samsung jumped in today with the reveal of the Galaxy Gear, a $299 smartwatch that, at launch, will work with exactly one smartphone, the Galaxy Note 3.
Unless you're planning on dropping the cash to upgrade your handset to the as-of-yet unreleased new Note, there's no reason to really consider the Galaxy Gear in the first place. But don't worry, Apple already released a device way back in 2010 that competes with the Gear, and it can now be found for less than half the price of Samsung's new gadget. That device is the 6th generation iPod Nano, and it might not be a smartwatch, but it does a pretty respectable job of faking it.
Check out the head-to-head comparison below and see which one is the better value for you.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free