Apple quietly discontinues Cards app for iOS
Reports are trickling in that the iPhone 5 might not have been the only thing Apple discontinued today. It appears that Apple is in the process of discontinuing its Cards app.
The app was launched in 2011 and allowed users to order physical greeting cards based on their photos. Upon launching the app today users are now greeted with the message "The Cards service is no longer available." The message appears on both iOS 6 and iOS 7.
Users can still download Cards via its direct link to the App Store listing, but the app has already been removed from the list of apps made by Apple in the App Store.
Update: The greeting card feature in iPhoto for Mac is still present and supported, but Apple has officially acknowledged that Cards for iOS is no longer operational as of September 10. Note that cards ordered through iPhoto use alternative shipping services such as FedEx, rather than the USPS shipping in the Cards app.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync