Apple kicks off September iPhone event with impressive facts and figures
As expected, Apple kicked off its iPhone announcement event with a quick rundown of numbers that reflect how well its core business units are performing. It followed that up with some staggering facts and figures about its new hardware. Here are some of the figures Apple has announced:
- Apple's iTunes Festival is in its seventh year with 30 nights of live performances; 20 million people applied for tickets and over 100 countries have watched concerts live.
- The Stanford Apple Store has played host to 5 million customers in nine years. That's 2,000 visitors per day on average in the small, 1,100-square-foot store. Now it is eight times as big as its previous configuration.
- Apple is ready to ship its 700 millionth iOS device in October.
- Over 200 new features in iOS 7 including Air Drop, new Camera app and a newly designed camera roll.
- No numbers, but Tim Cook did announce that iWork is now the best-selling mobile productivity app on any platform.
- iPhone 5 had the most successful first year of any iPhone Apple has ever done.
- New A7 chip specs: 64-bit desktop architecture, modern instruction set, 2x general purpose registers, 2X floating point registers, over 1 billion transistors and 102mm squared die size.
- And that iPhone 5s with a 64-bit A7 processor; it'll deliver a 40x CPU performance bump and 56x faster graphics than the original iPhone, 2X better than the iPhone 5.
- iPhone 5s battery: 10 hours of 3G talk time, eight hours of 3G browsing, 10 hours of LTE browsing, 10 hours of WiFI browsing, 10 hours of video, 40 hours of music and 250 hours of standby time.
- iPhone 5s camera: five-element lens, f/2.2 aperture, 15 percent larger sensor, pixels are 1.5 microns.
- Two new camera modes that feature a 10 fps burst mode and slow-motion recording of 720p video at 120 fps. Also a 28MP panorama shot.
- Touch ID is touch capacitive sensor that's 170 microns thin with 500 ppi resolution and 360-degree readability. It even scans sub-epidermal skin layers.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration