Apple asks suppliers to increase gold iPhone 5s production
When rumors that Apple was planning to release a gold-colored iPhone began trickling in a few weeks ago, it was greeted with a lot of skepticism. Understandably, many felt that a gold iPhone would be gaudy, ostentatious and downright obnoxious.
In truth, the aesthetic of the gold-colored iPhone 5s is much more subtle, and dare I say, elegant. Consumers have taken notice as well, with reports that the device is already in extremely short supply.
Indeed, demand for the gold iPhone 5s is so great that Apple has reportedly reached out to its suppliers to if they can increase production by 33 percent.
Apple has asked its suppliers to increase production of the gold-colored iPhone 5S by an additional one-third after seeing strong demand, people familiar with the situation said. It isn't clear whether there are currently supply constraints manufacturing the new iPhone.
As it stands now, Apple's online store indicates that the gold iPhone 5s won't be ready to ship until October. In contrast, both the silver and "space gray" iPhone 5s models will be ready for shipment in seven to 10 days.
When rumors that Apple was planning to release a gold-colored iPhone began trickling in a few weeks ago, it was greeted with a lot of...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version
- Weather Underground iPhone app gets crowdsourced weather, iOS 7 style
- Apple updates iMovie, adds support for older Macs