Apple asks suppliers to increase gold iPhone 5s production
When rumors that Apple was planning to release a gold-colored iPhone began trickling in a few weeks ago, it was greeted with a lot of skepticism. Understandably, many felt that a gold iPhone would be gaudy, ostentatious and downright obnoxious.
In truth, the aesthetic of the gold-colored iPhone 5s is much more subtle, and dare I say, elegant. Consumers have taken notice as well, with reports that the device is already in extremely short supply.
Indeed, demand for the gold iPhone 5s is so great that Apple has reportedly reached out to its suppliers to if they can increase production by 33 percent.
Apple has asked its suppliers to increase production of the gold-colored iPhone 5S by an additional one-third after seeing strong demand, people familiar with the situation said. It isn't clear whether there are currently supply constraints manufacturing the new iPhone.
As it stands now, Apple's online store indicates that the gold iPhone 5s won't be ready to ship until October. In contrast, both the silver and "space gray" iPhone 5s models will be ready for shipment in seven to 10 days.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options