Apple asks suppliers to increase gold iPhone 5s production
When rumors that Apple was planning to release a gold-colored iPhone began trickling in a few weeks ago, it was greeted with a lot of skepticism. Understandably, many felt that a gold iPhone would be gaudy, ostentatious and downright obnoxious.
In truth, the aesthetic of the gold-colored iPhone 5s is much more subtle, and dare I say, elegant. Consumers have taken notice as well, with reports that the device is already in extremely short supply.
Indeed, demand for the gold iPhone 5s is so great that Apple has reportedly reached out to its suppliers to if they can increase production by 33 percent.
Apple has asked its suppliers to increase production of the gold-colored iPhone 5S by an additional one-third after seeing strong demand, people familiar with the situation said. It isn't clear whether there are currently supply constraints manufacturing the new iPhone.
As it stands now, Apple's online store indicates that the gold iPhone 5s won't be ready to ship until October. In contrast, both the silver and "space gray" iPhone 5s models will be ready for shipment in seven to 10 days.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)