BlackBerry BBM messenger for iOS released, then pulled
Over the weekend BlackBerry released its BBM messenger app for iOS in some locales around the world. However, just hours later BlackBerry decided to pull it from available local App Stores and the Google Play store. This was done because an unreleased version of the Android version of BBM was leaked online, which caused security and operability issues to arise. Here's what the company said in a blog post announcing they've pulled the app:
Our teams continue to work around the clock to bring BBM to Android and iPhone, but only when it's ready and we know it will live up to your expectations of BBM. We are pausing the global roll-out of BBM for Android and iPhone. Customers who have already downloaded BBM for iPhone will be able to continue to use BBM. The unreleased Android app will be disabled, and customers who downloaded it should visit www.BBM.com to register for updates on official BBM for Android availability.
As soon as we are able, we will begin a staggered country roll-out of BBM for Android and continue the roll-out of BBM for iPhone. Please follow @BBM on Twitter for the latest updates and go to www.BBM.com to sign-up for updates about BBM for Android and iPhone. These issues have not impacted BBM service for BlackBerry.
When BBM for iPhone does go back online, here's what you can expect from the release:
BBM™ is now here for iPhone. The best way to connect with anyone, anywhere for free. Download it now.
• Immediately know when your messages have been delivered (D's) and read (R's)
• Know when contacts are responding to your message
• Say it with a variety of emoticons for every mood and emotion.
Chat and Share with many at once:
• Groups – Create or join a group and chat, share pictures lists, and appointments with the whole group. You can even be in a group with people who aren't part of your BBM contact list.
• Multi-chat – Invite multiple contacts to participate in a chat together.
• Broadcast – Send a message to multiple BBM contacts at one time.
There's more to share with BBM:
• Share voice notes
• Share photos
• Share URLs
Personalize your Profile and keep it fresh:
• Choose a different profile picture and update your personal status whenever you want, in an instant – so your profile will always reflect the way that you feel.
• Profile pictures (avatars) can be updated using images, pictures or even animated pictures (GIFs).
Stay in control:
• With 2-way opt-in, you have control over who messages you.
• Invites via PIN/QR mean that there is no need to share e-mail or phone number if you prefer not to, which provides control over how you are contacted.
Coming Soon: BBM Channels, BBM Voice & BBM Video.
BBM for iOS is expected to be a free download, when available.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync