Home is where you roam: AT&T, Fon sign global WiFi agreement
AT&T customers traveling overseas may not have to look too far for WiFi access in the future. Today, the company signed an agreement with global hotspot provider Fon that gives AT&T customers access to Fon's nearly 12 million hotspots on smartphones and other WiFi-enabled devices. Fon's members will gain access to AT&T's nearly 30,000 hotspots in the US in return.
Fon's a fascinating business -- the company's members share their home WiFi and in turn get free access at all other Fon hotspots. The company provides special routers to members that prioritize the homeowner's internet traffic, but allow secured access to other Fon members nearby.
To access the Fon hotspots, AT&T customers just need to install the free WiFi International App. This app lets AT&T customers with the 300 MB or 800 MB Data Global Add-On package use up to 1 GB of WiFi at no extra charge. Likewise, Fon members using the free Fon app will gain access to AT&T's hotspots located throughout the US.
AT&T customers traveling overseas may not have to look too far for WiFi access in the future. Today, the company signed an agreement...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daylite 5 adds refinements to the business management app
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update