BlackBerry: BBM still coming to iOS
It's a tough time for BlackBerry. On the heels of its recent financial problems, the company's long-delayed BBM messaging program looked like a bright spot. It finally seemed like it was going to be released on September 22 and, for a brief moment, it was. But disaster struck when an Android BBM .apk was leaked, creating security and server issues. The app was pulled from the iOS and Android stores and remains unavailable.
But BlackBerry promises that BBM is still coming. This morning, they tweeted the following from the app's official Twitter page:
As of press time, we have no information on when exactly BBM will finally be made available. Users who were able to download the iOS version last week will be able to continue using it in the meantime, while the Android version has been disabled.
For those of you waiting with bated breath for BBM, here's a list of what you can look forward to with the iOS app once it launches:
• Immediately know when your messages have been delivered (D's) and read (R's)
• Know when contacts are responding to your message
• Say it with a variety of emoticons for every mood and emotion.
Chat and Share with many at once:
• Groups – Create or join a group and chat, share pictures lists, and appointments with the whole group. You can even be in a group with people who aren't part of your BBM contact list.
• Multi-chat – Invite multiple contacts to participate in a chat together.
• Broadcast – Send a message to multiple BBM contacts at one time.
There's more to share with BBM:
• Share voice notes
• Share photos
• Share URLs
Personalize your Profile and keep it fresh:
• Choose a different profile picture and update your personal status whenever you want, in an instant – so your profile will always reflect the way that you feel.
• Profile pictures (avatars) can be updated using images, pictures or even animated pictures (GIFs).
Stay in control:
• With 2-way opt-in, you have control over who messages you.
• Invites via PIN/QR mean that there is no need to share e-mail or phone number if you prefer not to, which provides control over how you are contacted.
Coming Soon: BBM Channels, BBM Voice & BBM Video.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features