BBC iPlayer Radio adds podcasts downloads
The BBC has added a long-requested feature to its iPlayer Radio app: podcast downloads. Version 1.2 allows users to download a podcast over WiFi and listen to it any time they want, even without an internet connection. The podcast download feature follows in the footsteps of a feature in the main BBC iPlayer app, which lets you download video content and watch it on a device without an internet connection.
"With over 3 million downloads and counting, the BBC iPlayer Radio app is evolving," James Simcock, executive producer of Mobile and Radio at the BBC said in a blog post. "Since we first launched the app, we've been listening closely to audience feedback with a view to make continuous improvements to the apps. I'm proud to say that we've now implemented the single most requested new feature -- podcast downloads."
"This means that you can grab a copy of your favourite podcasts to listen to on or offline, straight from the app. We've added simple controls to choose whether to allow downloads when on mobile networks or just on WiFi (to avoid data charges), to 'queue' as many downloads as you like and to manage your downloaded content quickly and easily via the new 'My Downloads' section of the app. You'll find this new section in the 'More' menu on iOS devices."
iPlayer Radio is a free download.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daylite 5 adds refinements to the business management app
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update