Volkswagen unveils MARTA, an iOS auto repair app
While many augmented reality applications are largely consumer-facing, Volkswagen is instead empowering its technicians with an AR-centric tool to expedite repair and service. Using an iOS app named MARTA (Mobile Augmented Reality Technical Assistance), workers servicing VW's futuristic new XL1 concept car can see detailed instructions as well as real-time labels for specific vehicle parts.
Technicians can see virtual tools applied to various vehicle parts to ensure the job is being done correctly, and even see what new parts would look like when applied to the car, which could come in handy if you're looking to customize your ride. Of course, the app still appears to be in its early stages, and given that it's designed around a car that's not officially available to the public, it may be a while before your local VW dealer adds an iPad to their toolbox.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync