SimCity might get an offline option after all
After two fumbled launches -- one for Windows users and one for Mac -- that frustrated gamers with networking issues, SimCity might finally be getting an offline mode. A general manager for developer Maxis confirmed in a blog post that the company is indeed exploring whether an offline mode would be possible.
"Right now we have a team specifically focused on exploring the possibility of an offline mode. I can't make any promises on when we will have more information, but we know this is something that many of our players have been asking for. While the server connectivity issues are behind us, we would like to give our players the ability to play even if they choose not to connect. An offline mode would have the additional benefit of providing room to the modding community to experiment without interfering or breaking the multiplayer experience."
Prior to now, publisher EA as well as Maxis has insisted that an online-only experience was the only way the game could offer the experience they wanted. It seems that months of criticism may have finally worn down the game's creators, and they may be ready to offer gamers what they've been asking for since before the game was even released.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync