Office for iPad will debut after next Windows version
It's been a hard road for Microsoft Office fans who are also iOS users. The company finally got around to releasing an iPhone version of Office Mobile this past June, providing Office 365 subscribers access to the full suite of apps. But iPad users are still waiting, and apparently it's because Windows users are also waiting.
At a Gartner event today, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer announced that the release of Office for the iPad was being planned, but only after a touch-first user interface had been introduced to the Windows version of the program. Sources at Microsoft have told The Verge COO Kevin Turner says the company needs "to own the productivity experience across all devices."
In the meantime, Office 365 users who need to access the suite's apps can do so via the iPad's web browser.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter