Office for iPad will debut after next Windows version
It's been a hard road for Microsoft Office fans who are also iOS users. The company finally got around to releasing an iPhone version of Office Mobile this past June, providing Office 365 subscribers access to the full suite of apps. But iPad users are still waiting, and apparently it's because Windows users are also waiting.
At a Gartner event today, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer announced that the release of Office for the iPad was being planned, but only after a touch-first user interface had been introduced to the Windows version of the program. Sources at Microsoft have told The Verge COO Kevin Turner says the company needs "to own the productivity experience across all devices."
In the meantime, Office 365 users who need to access the suite's apps can do so via the iPad's web browser.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options