Producer: Final Fantasy VII on mobile is 'years away'
Just a few days after reporting that Final Fantasy VI will soon be heading to iOS comes word that Final Fantasy VII on mobile may be years away.
In an interview with Shacknews, Square Enix director and producer Takashi Tokita explained why fans of the RPG series may have to wait a while for Final Fantasy VII to hit the App Store.
"Unfortunately, it's not that it's not impossible for us to develop Final Fantasy 7 for mobile," Tokita told Shacknews. "It's that currently, space will be an issue. Phones won't be able to contain the space it takes. It's over a gigabyte. People are probably going to have to wait a few years."
As it stands now, the maximum size for an iOS app is 2 gigabytes. So while it can be done, perhaps Square Enix wants to ensure an adequate ROI, something that might understandably be hard to achieve when many people struggled to make room for Apple's recent iOS 7 update.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration