Producer: Final Fantasy VII on mobile is 'years away'
Just a few days after reporting that Final Fantasy VI will soon be heading to iOS comes word that Final Fantasy VII on mobile may be years away.
In an interview with Shacknews, Square Enix director and producer Takashi Tokita explained why fans of the RPG series may have to wait a while for Final Fantasy VII to hit the App Store.
"Unfortunately, it's not that it's not impossible for us to develop Final Fantasy 7 for mobile," Tokita told Shacknews. "It's that currently, space will be an issue. Phones won't be able to contain the space it takes. It's over a gigabyte. People are probably going to have to wait a few years."
As it stands now, the maximum size for an iOS app is 2 gigabytes. So while it can be done, perhaps Square Enix wants to ensure an adequate ROI, something that might understandably be hard to achieve when many people struggled to make room for Apple's recent iOS 7 update.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter