Microsoft Remote Desktop for iOS released
Microsoft has released its Remote Desktop app for iOS. The recently announced product is a free download, allowing users to access their desktop apps and documents directly from their Apple devices. As Windows struggles to expand its market reach thanks to the Surface tablet, allowing Microsoft loyalists who use the iPhone or iPad access to their desktop from their Apple device is a smart move.
Here's what you can expect from the Remote Desktop app.
- Access to remote resources through the Remote Desktop Gateway
- Rich multitouch experience with remote desktop protocol (RDP) and RemoteFX supporting Windows gestures
- Secure connection to your data and applications with breakthrough Network Layer Authentication (NLA) technology
- Simple management of all remote connections from the connection center
- High-quality video and sound streaming with improved compression and bandwidth usage
- Easy connection to external monitors or projectors for presentations
Interestingly, the Android version of the app doesn't have the external monitor support feature listed in its online description.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter