Google Hangouts for iOS adds voice calling, Google Voice integration
Google has updated its Hangouts app with a number of VoIP features. The new version 1.3 allows iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users in the US and Canada to call US and Canadian phone numbers for free right from the app. Users can also call phone numbers in other countries for a cost.
The update also adds more VoIP features in the way of allowing a Google Voice user to make phone calls to Google Voice numbers and receive phone calls to their Google Voice number. The move could make traditional phone carriers nervous as both features only require a data connection and mean that a subscriber isn't using their plan's minutes. Check out the release notes below to see all the features of the latest update.
What's New in Version 1.3.0
- See which of your friends is using Hangouts, and who can be reached right now
- Call phone numbers from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch (free to the US and Canada)
- Make and receive calls using your Google Voice number
- Send and receive animated GIFs that play inline
- Hangouts will temporarily turn down your music (instead of stopping it) when you receive an incoming message
Hangouts is a free download.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app