Apple VP of Product Design Doug Fields set to take on new gig at Tesla
Tesla announced today that it recently hired Doug Field, a former VP of Product Design at Apple. If you recall, Field originally joined Apple back in 2008. Prior to that, he served as the CTO at Segway.
A press release from Tesla notes that Field, during his tenure at Apple, helped develop a number of Mac-based hardware products, including, but not limited to, the most recent iterations of the MacBook Pro and iMac.
Commenting on his new role at Tesla, Field explains:
Until Tesla came along, I had never seriously considered leaving Apple. I started my career with the goal of creating incredible cars, but ultimately left the auto industry in search of fast-paced, exciting engineering challenges elsewhere. As the first high-tech auto company in modern history, Tesla is at last an opportunity for me and many others to pursue the dream of building the best cars in the world-while being part of one of the most innovative companies in Silicon Valley.
Indeed, Tesla folks often exclaim that the company is more of a tech company than an old-fashioned car company.
At Tesla, Field will serve as the company's VP of Vehicle Programs where he'll help spearhead development on new vehicles.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync