Five apps for the iPad Air: the first apps I installed on Apple's latest tablet
Sales of the iPad Air kicked off this weekend and I, like many others, grabbed one of Apple's latest tablets. Coming from an iPad mini, I couldn't wait to try out the new A7 processor in the full-size tablet. As soon as I unwrapped the device, I picked five of my favorite apps and gave the processor a thorough workout.
Unlike the iPad fourth generation, which got a little warm from my nonstop playing, the iPad Air cruised along without a hitch. Enough of the jabber, here are the first five apps I installed on the iPad Air.
iMovie [iOS Universal; US$4.99 (free with new device purchase)]
iMovie is included for free with all new iPads and there is a good reason why Apple bundled this software with the new Air -- its performance is perfectly smooth on the Air.
Asphalt 8 [iOS Universal; $0.99]
Asphalt 8 just sings on the iPad Air -- responsive performance, fast transitions between races and no hesitations.
Infinity Blade 3 [iOS Universal; $6.99]
I'm not much of an Infinity Blade fan, but I always check it out when I get a new device as I consider it to be the gold standard for game playing and graphics performance on iOS.
Google Earth [iOS Universal; Free]
Google Earth is one of those apps I always install as I enjoy browsing the 3D landscapes. As with the other apps, Google Earth was a great experience on the Air.
Snapseed [iOS Universal; Free]
Snapseed may not be the most taxing of apps, but it is one I use in my free time to spiffy up the photos I take with my iPhone.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features