MapQuest gets new look, features for iOS 7 users
With Google and Apple locked in an epic battle to win the maps wars, many forget that there are other decent mapping services for iOS. One such service is MapQuest, the tried-and-true mapping solution that has been around for years and years.
Today the company updated its MapQuest app for iOS 7 adding a sleek new interface and several feature enhancements including route bookmarking and, my favorite, a status bar that displays your full route statistics, including where you are along the journey and the time and distance left to reach your destination. Apple and Google should adopt this feature.
Here's a full rundown of all the new features in MapQuest 4.0:
Beautifully redesigned for iOS7, version 4.0 incorporates the useful features you need into precise vector maps to help you get where you need to go.
Version 4.0 boasts:
• Exquisite, eye-catching map styling – Our map now offers sharper detail and is much easier to read
• Traffic conditions on route – Your route turns red (heavy) or yellow (some brake lights) to keep you informed of live traffic conditions
• Custom home/work bookmarking – Bookmark your home and work addresses so no matter where you are, you can find your way to either at the push of a button
• Road alerts – Get alerted to toll roads and seasonal road closures on your route
• Sharing – Keep friends and family in the loop by sharing your location
• Audio mute capabilities – Select the audio mute option to turn off voice-guided directions while enjoying music or making a phone call
• Advanced search capabilities – Locate your destination faster when you search
It should be noted that MapQuest 4.0 requires iOS 7, so if you haven't upgraded yet or have an iOS device that will not support iOS 7, you will not be able to upgrade to MapQuest 4.0. MapQuest 4.0 is a free download and offers an in-app purchase for US$3.99 that gets rid of the ads the app features.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter