Under Armour acquires MapMyFitness to bolster digital fitness
Watch out, Nike -- in the footrace for domination of the huge and growing digital fitness market, a competitor just leapt into contention. Under Armour, a major manufacturer of fitness and sports performance products, acquired MapMyFitness -- a company with one of the largest digital fitness communities.
MapMyFitness current has over 20 million registered users, many of whom use the company's popular Map My Run, Map My Walk or Map My Fitness Workout Trainer iOS apps and a large selection of connected activity trackers and wearable sensors. In fact, the company says that its apps integrate with more than 400 fitness tracking devices.
For the time being, the apps will continue under the MapMyFitness brand and the company will operate from its Austin, Texas, headquarters.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options