Nest Mobile gets makeover, Nest Protect smoke detector compatibility
Nest has released version 4.0 of its Nest Mobile app giving it a complete UI makeover and adding Nest Protect smoke detector support. Writing on the company's blog, Matt Rogers, Nest's founder and VP of engineering, explains why the new app is a major improvement:
The app is getting a full redesign: since you control both Nest Protect and the Nest Learning Thermostat from one place, we updated the mobile app to fit -- and work better -- for both. You won't have to turn the phone sideways to set your Thermostat to Away or view settings and things will get a lot more interesting when you connect a Nest Protect. Web control from nest.com has been redesigned to match. We've also improved several heating features on the Nest Thermostat to help you save energy this winter.
Besides a redesign, the major new feature of the Nest Mobile app is Nest Protect support. Nest Protect is the company's new smoke detector product and using it in conjunction with the Nest Mobile 4.0 app users will be able to set up the device and change its settings, view messages, run self checks, get push notifications for important events and directly contact emergency services if smoke or carbon monoxide is detected.
Nest Mobile 4.0 is a free download.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter