Shopkick rolls out iBeacon feature shopBeacon at Macy's flagship stores
I can't speak for the rest of you, but ever since Apple showed off iBeacon technology, I've been waiting for the day that I can walk into a retailer and have my iPhone recognize it. Thanks to Shopkick's new shopBeacon transmitters at flagship Macy's stores on the US coasts, customers will get a chance to experience it for the first time.
Shopkick announced today that the new iBeacon feature is live and ready to ping your iPhone with notifications about store deals, customer recommendations and, of course, Shopkick-specific rewards as soon as you set foot in the retailer. As shoppers move between departments, the app will provide additional information about specific products and produce reminders about items the user has "Liked" in the past.
OK, so it's basically a really smart version of a department store circular (with a dash of Minority Report), but at least someone is finally getting some use out of iBeacons. But not me, because I'm based out of the Midwest, where apparently we're not ready yet for the latest tech.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daylite 5 adds refinements to the business management app
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update