Looking for tech gift ideas this season? Gazelle's latest survey can give you some hints.
Gazelle is one of the leading consumer electronic trade-in sites on the internet. If you've got electronics to get rid of and need cash, it will often offer you more than the Apple Store or Best Buy or even your local pawn shop. It's got a vested interest in knowing what technology is going to be in demand this season, and thanks to the results of its latest consumer electronics survey, you can get a peek into the mind of your shopping list.
The survey asked more than 900 respondents, ages 18 and older, what devices they were looking for under the tree this holiday season. The results will probably not surprise you:
- 32 percent of respondents are hoping to receive a new laptop or desktop computer.
- 15 percent of respondents hope to get new smartphones, like the iPhone 5s and 5c.
- 14 percent of respondents are crossing their fingers for a new e-reader.
As for what gifts respondents were thinking about giving, it looks like the tech-savvy respondents of the survey are aiming to spread screens and e-readers around to their friends and family.
- 27 percent of consumers say they'll be giving their loved ones a new computer this year.
- 22 percent plan to give a smartphone as a gift.
- 18 percent reported they'd be giving an e-reader.
Once you've given everyone you love a brand-new iPhone or MacBook, your friends and family are going to have a surplus of old gadgets laying around. Obviously Gazelle would like to buy those old gadgets, so as an added incentive for using its site, the company is offering a special holiday coupon that gives users an extra US$10 when they trade in their stuff at Gazelle.
Simply go to http://www.gazelle.com/holiday and print out the coupon. The company would like you to include the coupon with your gift, but if that feels tacky, just print it out and give it to the recipients after they open their package. You can also email them this story so they can download the coupon themselves and do it on their own time.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app