Android still playing catch-up to iOS developer revenue
iOS has long dominated principal rival Android in terms of developer revenue, and according to new figures from Business Insider, that's still the case. The new chart shows that for every US$1 iOS developers make per download, their Android counterparts bring in just 19 cents. The rest of the revenue metrics are slightly less disparate, with mobile ad revenue on Android bringing in 77 cents for every $1 on iOS, and in-app purchases giving Android devs 24 cents vs. $1 on iOS.
Despite the huge gap, Android is actually catching up to iOS overall, though it remains to be seen when (or if) Android will ever offer the same payoff for app developers as they find on Apple's marketplace.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options