iPhone scores big in Japan for October
Apple has scored a huge win in Japan in October with the release of the iPhone 5s and 5c, according to a note from research firm Kantar Worldpanel. In that month, Apple's two latest handsets took a whopping 76 percent of smartphone sales in the country. As Japan and the rest of Asia are increasingly becoming the most important market for America's technology giants, this is sure to be news Apple will be thankful for this Thanksgiving.
But perhaps the biggest winner is Japan's DoCoMo, the country's largest carrier, which, until this fall, had never offered the iPhone. DoCoMo had been shedding customers for years because it wasn't carrying Apple's device, but now the company has seen a massive boost in sales, with 61 percent of its handsets sold in the month of October being the iPhone.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)