iPhone scores big in Japan for October
Apple has scored a huge win in Japan in October with the release of the iPhone 5s and 5c, according to a note from research firm Kantar Worldpanel. In that month, Apple's two latest handsets took a whopping 76 percent of smartphone sales in the country. As Japan and the rest of Asia are increasingly becoming the most important market for America's technology giants, this is sure to be news Apple will be thankful for this Thanksgiving.
But perhaps the biggest winner is Japan's DoCoMo, the country's largest carrier, which, until this fall, had never offered the iPhone. DoCoMo had been shedding customers for years because it wasn't carrying Apple's device, but now the company has seen a massive boost in sales, with 61 percent of its handsets sold in the month of October being the iPhone.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options