iPhone scores big in Japan for October
Apple has scored a huge win in Japan in October with the release of the iPhone 5s and 5c, according to a note from research firm Kantar Worldpanel. In that month, Apple's two latest handsets took a whopping 76 percent of smartphone sales in the country. As Japan and the rest of Asia are increasingly becoming the most important market for America's technology giants, this is sure to be news Apple will be thankful for this Thanksgiving.
But perhaps the biggest winner is Japan's DoCoMo, the country's largest carrier, which, until this fall, had never offered the iPhone. DoCoMo had been shedding customers for years because it wasn't carrying Apple's device, but now the company has seen a massive boost in sales, with 61 percent of its handsets sold in the month of October being the iPhone.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter