Epic celestial adventure game Starbound enters open beta today
One of the most hyped PC games of the latter half of 2013 enters open beta today. It's called Starbound, and if you haven't heard of it, you've not been keeping up on your gaming news. It's a 2D adventure sandbox game where you play as a lost, space-faring citizen who has just crashed on a mysterious planet. It's up to you to explore, adapt and, most importantly, survive.
The neat thing about Starbound is that you can do essentially whatever you want and there's no right or wrong way to play it. If you want to dig a hole in the ground and scavenge only the supplies you need to survive day-to-day, you can do it. If you want to craft weapons and become a murderous assassin, you can do it. Or if you want to simply explore the infinite number of procedurally generated worlds, you can do that too.
Since the game isn't in full release mode yet, there are a few different tiers of support that will get you into the game's beta and eventually the retail version, the cheapest of which starts at US$15. That's a pretty stellar deal considering the wealth of content, not to mention the fact that the Mac release is getting the same treatment as the Windows and Linux versions. Hooray for gaming equality!
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free